Saturday, July 6, 2013

A First Papercut

Thanks to everyone who has checked out my blog so far! Don't forget to "follow" so you can see posts as I upload them!

So this post shows my first real papercut card. I had done a couple of small ones before this, but those were more like testing the waters. This is the first one that I really put effort in to, and actually gave to someone.

I made this card for my cousin Jeff's wedding. I wish I could take credit for the adorable design, but it's a copy of a design by papercut artist Rob Ryan.


Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the card after I had backed the papercut, so the design doesn't quite stand out and looks a little rough in this picture. I ended up backing it with silver tissue paper to add to the whole wedding effect. I also learned from this that papercuts look best when the picture is not so up close!

You can see, though, that there are some rough lines in there. It's actually intentional. Well I mean, I don't think I could get them too much cleaner if I tried, but I also wouldn't want to. A lot of papercut artists will make one design by hand and then laser cut a bunch from those. That results in very clean lines. Personally, I like being able to see that it was hand cut, and I while I try to make my papercuts as clean as possible, I'm glad for the imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment